Ayurveda has always been one of the most trusted forms of treatment in the history of medicine all around the world. Today, this oldest medicine system has once again revolutionized medical science. Ayurveda with its simple remedies, concoctions, special diets, and lifestyle suggestions has made its way into the lives of countless people.
For a diabetic patient, Ayurvedic medicines is blessing by not only treating the disease but also creating natural defences for further damage.
Diabetes Mellitus often referred to as Diabetes, is a metabolic disorder which occurs due to inadequate insulin production and is associated with a rising sugar content of the blood and appearance of sugar in the urine.
Diabetes is mainly categorized in two conditions:
Type 1 diabetes
This type of diabetes mainly develops in childhood and adolescence. It happens due to the impairment of the body’s immune system that becomes vulnerable and further destroys the insulin-producing cells in the body. For this particular type of diabetes, the patients require lifelong treatment and need to depend on insulin injections for survival.
Type 2 diabetes
This type is the more common type of diabetes which occurs when the pancreas is unable to produce the required amount of insulin in the body, resulting in the build-up of glucose (sugar) in the blood. Generally, Type 2 diabetes is mainly related to obesity, lack of physical activity, and unhealthy diets.
According to Ayurveda, there are primarily three mind-body constitutions (Kapha, Pitta, and Vata) which are known as doshas. Diabetes occurs due to imbalances in these doshas.
Type 2 diabetes develops from an excess of the Kapha Dosha. Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment is mainly focused on diet modification and lifestyle changes.
Medicines in Ayurveda for Diabetes
1. Bitter Gourd Juice
It is considered to be one of the best remedies for diabetes. This is attributed to the high content of antioxidants and bioactive compounds like polypeptide-p that exhibits hypoglycemic activity.
2. Neem Leaves and Tulsi Leaves
Due to the presence of antioxidants in both these components, the free radical scavenging activity of glutathione and superoxide dismutase increases that enables pancreas gland’s functioning and hence, better blood sugar regulation.
3. Bel (Bael) Leaves
Bel leaves have antidiabetic characteristics. Therefore, diabetic patients should consume the extract of these leaves by mixing them with black pepper.
4. Ground Bay Leaf, Turmeric & Aloe Vera
It is quite effective in controlling blood sugar levels attributed to the high content of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin, in turmeric, is even potential of reversing the damage caused to the pancreas with increased production of insulin-secreting beta cells.
5. Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
Methi seeds are another natural remedy for diabetes. When combined with other Ayurvedic herbs, Methi seeds work wonders in curing diabetes.
6. Cinnamon powder
This powder is also an ayurvedic medicine for diabetes. Mix 3-4 tbsp of cinnamon powder in one-liter water. This mixture is then heated for around 20 minutes.
7. Jamun Seeds and Leaves
Jamun contains alkaloid jamboline or antimellin that prevents the conversion of starch into sugar. Thus chewing of 4-5 jamun leaves can be very beneficial for curing type 2 diabetes.
The Amla’s curative properties are widely known. Around 20 ml of juice, taken twice a day can be immensely good for the diabetic patient.
Diet & Lifestyle
In order to have an effective long-term cure for diabetes, Ayurveda extensively stresses on various diet and lifestyle changes which can help a diabetic patient lead a much healthier life.
• High fiber diet is a much-preferred solution for diabetes. Oatmeal and high fiber cereals can be better food choices.
• Garlic and onions should be consumed as garlic contains allicin that reduces sugar level, while onion has low sugar characteristics.
• Cheese and yogurt prepared with skimmed milk can be taken.
• Eat plenty of green vegetables, black gram, and fish.
• Avoid sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc.
• Barley is the best grain for managing diabetes. As an effective way to control diabetes, you can make a flour mixture of 1 part barley, 1 part black chickpeas, and 4 parts whole-wheat flour.
• Indulge in some light exercises. You can start brisk walking of around one hour a day.
• Yoga can be highly effective in diabetes management. Sirsasana, Veerasana, Paschimotasana, Mayurasana and many other yoga poses are quite beneficial in treating both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
When it comes to effective diabetes management with Ayurveda, Madhuyogic diabetes kit can be a complete diabetes cure solution as it contains all the essential natural and herbal ingredients. The formula of Madhuyogic is 100% organic and has absolutely no adverse effects.